This flag proclaims the “First Company of Texan Volunteers from New Orleans” in appreciation of one of the first groups to join Texans in their fight for liberty. Thankful settlers presented the flag to Captain Breece’s company when they arrived at the Gaines Ferry landing along the Sabine River. The blue silk flag features an American eagle with spread wings above the words “God & Liberty.” After the defeat of the Alamo, this flag was saved by Santa Anna as proof of the American seditionists. He sent the flag back to the Mexican government where it has been held since 1836.
New Orleans Grays 1835-1836